Beef recalled over missing paperwork for mad cow disease guidelines

They neither tested for it nor detected it. The beef was recalled because one of the guidelines was broken. There was no paperwork found showing that brain and nerve tissue was removed from an unspecified quantity of cattle, citing a USDA requirement “brain and spinal tissue be removed from meat products from cattle 30 years and older because it can carry the protein that causes mad cow disease.”

More than 4,000 pounds of rib-eye and other fresh beef products have been recalled because they could contain contaminated materials linked to mad cow disease.

via Beef recall: Concern over mad cow disease cited – CNN.com.

Wildly fascinating: A bank security insider breaks down modern bank robbery stats and methods

Robberies were an almost daily occurrence but the vast majority were non-violent. We broke our incidents down into categories:

Note passer, Verbal Demand, or Armed Takeover

The big, dramatic armed movie-style robberies were the takeovers – typically multiple bandits, armed would take over the branch, cross the teller line and make a big scene. These accounted for 11% of our robberies over the years and this number held very consistent.

The rest fell into the other categories which were much lower risk.

Frankly there is no good reason to commit a takeover robbery or even an armed robbery on a bank. A verbal demand for cash or a note will net you the same results.

Vaults were time-locked. Cash dispensers could only dispense so much cash and take time/expertise to operate. The days of manual cash in teller drawers or the old mobile carts are long over.

Read much more, and really, it’s fascinating, at According to FBI statistics, violent bank robberies are incredibly rare. In fact, most bank robberies (61%) involve a single person handing the teller a note and then walking out without incident.

The 50% divorce rate statistic we’ve heard for years is wrong

According to the Census Bureau, 72 percent of those who have ever been married are still married to their first spouse, and the other 28 percent includes everyone who was married for many years, until a spouse died.

And the other part of the quote we’ve always heard, about how the rate was identical among churchgoers? That information never existed and was a misuse of the data that has plagued the original pollster for years. In truth, going to church lowers the divorce rate over 20%.

The linked article is about how a writer wanted to make sure the widely-quoted statistic was accurate before he used it in an article, but quickly found that the existing information on marriage was wildly contradictory. That one simple fact-check took eight years of research to resolve…

via Everything We Think We Know About Marriage and Divorce Is Wrong by Shaunti Feldhahn – ChurchLeaders.com

Birds figure out how to open doors to get to their nests inside

Birds nesting in an underground parkade could have been locked in when the parkade was converted to a campus bike centre with doors on the end. The swallows quickly learned how to trigger the motion detectors to open the doors and go in and out whenever they want.

via Smart Birds Open Doors – YouTube.

What’s most likely to trigger road rage?

The biggies were

  • People texting
  • Tailgaters
  • People who change lanes too often
  • People who drive below the speed limit

Even the calmest drivers have experienced an occasional moment of road rage at the hands of a rude or inconsiderate motorist.

But what’s most likely to set drivers off?

via Road rage: What’s most likely to trigger anger.